Mobile Apps – Marketing in a Mobile World

Published: May 21, 2023

min read

Take a look around you – every single person is glued to a mobile device – whether it is while waiting in line, or taking the train or just hanging out, everyone is completely immersed in some activity on some app in all likelihood, on a mobile device.

So it is no surprise that Mobile Advertising is certainly one of the big buzz words of today. Mobile ads are the answer from the advertising and marketing world to an entire generation of consumers who are always online, who do everything online and who are hooked up to a mobile device almost every waking minute.

In a consumer world that’s always online, a good advertising campaign definitely needs to focus on its mobile phone using audience.

And it is all about the apps that customers engage with every day. Whether it is a social media app or a gaming app or the app that a brand uses to sell its products, the mobile app universe is huge and it rakes in the big bucks.

Take a look at this report -

The State of App Revenue 2023 Report from has some very interesting findings for the marketer of today.

According to this Report,

The app economy is worth ~ $500 billion of which -

  • $336B (67%) comes from advertising
  • $167B (33%) comes from in-app purchases

Apps that included Instagram and TikTok captured roughly 65% of this advertising spend and games took the other 35%. But when it came to in-app purchases, games accounted for 66% of consumer spending.

Mobile advertising also grew much faster at 14% YoY in 2022 in spite of speed bumps such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe and Apple’s App Tracking Transparency.

Marketing to a world gone Mobile

We live in a world that has more mobile subscriptions than the human population itself! So any marketer, who doesn’t build his game plan and marketing strategy around it, will be truly missing out!

Mobile advertising has simply revolutionized marketing campaigns. It lends itself to being an ideal receptacle for social media apps, increases customer engagement exponentially, is cost-effective and is a great enabler of personalized customer relationships.

Mobile apps take this even further. Since customers are on some mobile app or the other pretty much all the time, marketing on this, gives brands a direct access to their customers almost in real time. It enables geo-targeting – so marketers can send location-specific messages that are timely and relevant.

With all the information about the customer that brands are able to get about their customers through their mobile apps, highly personalized and relevant messaging is possible, moving them along the funnel and increasing conversions.

Competition is heating up in the mobile app space – with every brand and marketer wanting a piece of that pie. This makes it increasingly difficult for marketers and brands to get customer attention and make them convert as easily as they did earlier.

With more and more mobile apps filling up and fighting for customer attention, a keen marketing strategy is needed for brands to ensure that their app is a winner – in terms of revenue. As the momentum builds, it is necessary for brands and marketers to have a multi-faceted monetization strategy in place. As the report has indicated - a big chunk of dollars comes from advertising – but also from in-app purchases.

A good strategy will blend both – one time purchase, in app purchases, and paid upgrades on the one hand, with advertising dollars on the other. One can even take the cue from players like YouTube who have subscribers pay to see no ads!

All of this will work, and how!


Pete Johnson

Pete is a MarTech expert guru with a knack for getting diverse MarTech solutions work for brands. He has a wealth of experience in working with a plethora of MarTech platforms that dive Personalized Omnichannel Experiences. When he's not at work, you can find him playing basketball or listening to jazz.


Be the first one to comment.

Follow Us

Related Articles

Recent posts

The subscriber's email address.